Social Security Disability Resource Center
Can I Talk To the Disability Examiner Working On My Case?
Once you file your disability claim with Social Security, it is sent to a state disability processing agency for a medical determination. In order for the disability examiner to make a medical determination, they have to gather your medical information and possibly schedule consultative examinations to make a decision on your disability claim.
Logically, the disability examiner may need to contact you and your third party person (the person you named on your disability application as a person who was aware of your conditions) during the development process.
Sometimes, disability examiners have all the medical information they need from your medical sources (usually this means no consultative examination) other than information about your functional ability, which they can acquire through specific questionnaires. And, generally, disability examiners send you a questionnaire to address your ability to perform routine activities of daily living.
They may also send a third party questionnaire to your third party contact-person to get that person's perspective about how your disabling condition limits your ability to perform routine activities, including work activities.
Lastly, your disability examiner is likely to send a work questionnaire for you to complete. The work questionnaire asks for a detailed description of your jobs, the physical and mental demands of the jobs, and how your performed those jobs.
If the disability examiner needs to clarify any information, they will call or mail a request for information to you. Of course, there may be times that you need to talk to your disability examiner. Most disability examiners include their phone number on every letter they send to you. You should call them if you need to give them new medical or work information or if you would like a status on your disability claim.
As a former disability examiner, I can say that when claimants call about their disability claims periodically it may help expedite the processing of their disability claim. The old adage, “the squeaky wheel gets the oil” is so often true when it comes to disability claim processing--whether your claim is at the state disability agency or at your local Social Security office.
Social Security Disability and SSI Resource Center
The Most Basic questions about Getting Disability Benefits
Social Security Disability and SSI Back Pay Benefits
Social Security Disability SSI and whether or not you can work
How long does it take for Social Security Disability or SSI?
Social Security Disability SSI Awards and Award Notices
Tips, Mistakes, How to Qualify, and How to Win Disability
Tips and Advice for Social Security Disability and SSI Claims
Common Mistakes to avoid after being denied for Disability
Disability Qualifications and How to Qualify for Disability Benefits
Winning Social Security Disability or SSI, How to Win
Denials, Appeals, and Getting a Disability Lawyer or Representative
What you should know about Social Security Disability and SSI Denials
Social Security Disability and SSI Appeal Process - How to file appeals
Questions about Disability Lawyers and Hiring a Disability Attorney
Various Types of Benefits including SSI, Mental, and Child benefits
SSI Disability Benefits, Questions and Answers
Social Security and SSI based on Mental Disability
Social Security Disability or SSI Benefits for Children
Disability Benefits through Social Security
Information to start with regarding Disability Claims
An Overview of Social Security Disability and SSI
What is considered a Disabling condition by Social Security?
The Disability Requirements to be eligible for SSD and SSI Benefits
Filing for Social Security Disability or SSI Benefits
Social Security Disability and SSI Applications
Social Security Disability SSI List of Conditions and Impairments
Social Security Disability SSI: Medical Evidence and Records
Filing your claim for disability benefits
Eligibility for receiving disability benefits
Resources on this site
Social Security Disability, SSI Terms and Definitions
Previously answered questions regarding SSD and SSI
About the Author of SSDRC, Tim Moore
The SSDRC Disability Blog
For Individuals living in North Carolina
Disability in North Carolina
North Carolina Disability Lawyer
Getting disability in North Carolina
Questions and Answers
1. If your California disability appeal is denied, can you get another appeal?
2. Why do I need an attorney for Social Security disability?
3. Will my disability case be reviewed after I have been approved for disability benefits?
4. What happens after I file my disability claim?
5. Reconsideration of a disability denial-what does it involve?
6. How will an attorney help me win disability benefits?
7. What is Social Security’s definition of disability?
8. Appeal a disability claim
9. How does Social Security determine if I am disabled or not?
10. When should you file for disability benefits?
11. What happens if my social security disability application is denied?
12. Disability reconsideration - what is it and how do you file for it?
13. Can you speed up the Social Security disability process?
14. Who will decide my Social Security disability claim?
15. How long will it usually take to get a decision on a disability claim?
16. Does Social Security turn down every disability case the first time?
17. Are SSI claims in California denied more than SSDI claims?
18. If my medical condition keeps me from working will I get Social Security disability?
19. How should I prepare for a disability hearing with Social Security?
20. Can you qualify for disability benefits if you did not work much?
21. How does back pay for Social Security disability work?
22. How does a Social Security attorney get paid?
23. How much does a Social Security disability attorney get paid?
24. How long does it take to appeal a disability case?
25. What is the time frame for a judge to write up a decision for a disability hearing?
26. How much does Social Security pay in disability benefits?
27. Can you apply for SSI for a learning disability?
28. Can an individual qualify for Social Security disability or SSI on the basis of anxiety or panic attacks?
29. How do you apply for disability if you have depression problems?
30. If you appeal your Social Security disability claims how long does it take to receive a decision?
31. Is it hard to qualify for Social Security benefits if you have depression?
32. Is an individual who receives VA benefits allowed to receive Social Security benefits at the same time?
33. Can you be approved for disability without having to go to a hearing?
34. What is the maximum back pay you can get for Social Security disability?
35. What happens when you go to a Social Security disability hearing?
36. If you are applying for Social Security disability when does Medicare start?
37. How many disability appeals do you get in California?
38. Will I be approved for disability on my appeal?
39. How do disability appeals work?
40. Should I get a representative for my disability claim?
41. What kind of cases win disability benefits?
42. How do I file for Social Security disability?
43. How do you appeal your disability denial in Ohio?
44. How will Social Security find you disabled?
45. What if you Receive a Disability Denial from Social Security?
46. How Long Does a Social Security Disability or SSI Appeal Take?
47. How long does a request for a disability hearing appeal take?
48. Can an adult who has been to college but hasn't worked for a long time get Disability Benefits?
49. How do they determine the amount of money you receive on disability?
50. Can you win your Disability Case by Yourself?
51. Can I get my Social Security Disability Hearing Request Expedited, Speeded up?
52. Speeding up the Request for a Social Security Hearing - Documentation that is needed
53. How do I request a social security disability hearing - How do I file?
54. Requesting a Social Security Hearing when you have a Disability Representative or Attorney
55. How Long Does It Take For An Answer To Qualify For Social Security Disability or SSI?
56. How long does it take to get an answer on a Social Security Reconsideration Appeal?
57. If you are Denied for Disability, Should you File a new Application or File an Appeal of the Denial?
58. What is a Social Security Disability Denial based on?
59. What happens if you are working when you file for disability or after you apply for disability?
60. The Social Security Disability and SSI Process for Mental Claims based on Mental Disorders
61. Social Security Disability and SSI Mental Claims and Criteria
62. What are social security disability denials based on, your medical or work history?
63. What kind of Mental Problems Qualify for Disability?
64. Working and Disability - Are You Allowed to Work While Receiving Social Security Disability or SSI?
65. What is the state disability agency (DDS, Disability Determination Services)?
66. Can a disability attorney speed up my disability hearing? By What Methods?
67. If you get Denied for Disability in Florida and have to file an appeal
68. Filing a disability appeal in Michigan with or without a Lawyer
69. The Difference Between Social Security Disability (SSD) and SSI – How are they different Part II
70. The Decision on the Social Security Disability Claim or SSI Claim
71. How does Social Security use Evidence to Decide an SSDI or SSI Disability Claim and Make a Decision?
72. What does Social Security Disability Need to Know about your Work History and Jobs?
73. Will Social Security Decide That I can go Back to My Old Job?
74. Are SSD and SSI disability cases decided differently or in the same way?
75. Is Social Security required to give you a decision on your disability case in a certain amount of time?
76. How long does it take for an examiner to review a disability case?
77. Social Security Denial - What should be done if your disability is denied?
78. What Can A Disability Lawyer Charge For Their Services - Fees and Expenses?
79. If I Get Approved For Disability And Later Get Another condition, Can My Benefits Be Increased And Go Up?
80. How Far Back Does Social Security Look At Your Medical Records?
81. What Happens During A Social Security Disability Interview?
82. Can I Collect Unemployment While I File For Disability Benefits (SSD or SSI)?
83. Can you avoid a Social Security Disability Denial in Texas?
84. If I Am Determined Disabled, How Far Back Will Social Security Pay Benefits?
85. Social Security Disability Attorney Qualifications and Expenses
86. Should you ask a Disability Lawyer About Their Win Rate and How Many Cases They get Approved?
87. The Cost and Expenses of a Disability Attorney or a Disability Representative