Social Security Disability Resource Center

Overview | How to Qualify | Applications
Requirements | How long it takes | Back Pay
Mental Disability | What is a disability? | Tips
SSI Benefits | How to Win | Disability Awards
Hearings | Appeals | List of Disabling Conditions

Can I get disability with a frozen shoulder?

The following answer really applies to nearly any medically determinable condition (meaning it can be verified through medical records). This is because the Social Security Administration determines disability on the basis of functionality, i.e. what a person can still do. They compare a person's residual functional capacity to what they did in their past jobs, and to the requirements of other jobs that they could potentially do, based on their age, education, and skills, as well as rated functional capacity.

So, the simple answer to this question is that you may be able to be approved for Social Security disability with a frozen shoulder. It may not be easy, but it is possible. Social Security requires that you have been unable to work or work at a self-supporting level for twelve months, or there to be the expectation that you will not be able to work for twelve months due to your condition (in this case, your frozen shoulder) before considering it to be a severe impairment.

What Social Security looks for

Certainly, you may have a better chance of being approved for disability if you have additional impairments along with your frozen shoulder, or you have bilateral frozen shoulders. That being said, Social Security does consider the limitations that your frozen shoulder causes you along with other factors like age, education, job skills, and the transferrability of those skills when making their disability determination.

If your frozen shoulder limits your functional ability so severely that it prevents you from performing any job you performed in the last fifteen years or any other kind of work, you may get disability.

Social Security disability is more about functional ability rather than specific medical conditions. You need to have objective medical evidence to support your disability claim and it is helpful if you have a good treatment history with regard to your frozen shoulder, or other condition. A treating physicianís (a doctor who actually has a history of providing medical treatment to you) opinion will be given weight when supported by testing such as x rays, MRI, or cat scans.

If you are unable to work because of a frozen shoulder, and you are suffering from significant pain and functional limitations, you should consider filing for disability with Social Security. However, be sure to include all your symptoms and medical conditions since they can help fill in the picture for a disability examiner as to what you are capable of doing, and no longer capable of doing.

  • What medical conditions will get you approved for disability?

  • What kind of Mental Problems Qualify for Disability?

  • Which conditions will social security recognize as a disability?

  • Tips for getting Social Security Disability or SSI benefits approved

  • SSDRC Homepage:

    Social Security Disability and SSI Resource Center

    New and featured pages on

    Social Security Disability Requirements

    Social Security Disability list of impairments

    Social Security Disability Application

    Can you get disability for arthritis of the knee?

    How much income can you earn on Social Security disability?

    If you get denied at a disability hearing, can you win later?

    How much can an attorney charge for Social Security disability?

    Can you get approved for disability based on Ulcerative Colitis?

    The Most Basic questions about Getting Disability Benefits

    Social Security Disability SSI and whether or not you can work

    Common Mistakes to avoid after being denied for Disability

    Social Security Disability SSI Questions and Answers

    More Social Security Disability SSI Questions and Answers

    Common Questions about Social Security Disability and SSI

    Winning Social Security Disability or SSI Benefits

    The SSI Disability Benefits Program

    Medical exams for disability claims

    Applying for Disability in various states

    Social Security Disability SSI and Doctors - Yours and Theirs

    Social Security Disability and SSI Claim Reviews

    Social Security Disability SSI System and Benefits for Children

    Denials, Appeals, and Getting a Disability Lawyer or Representative

    What you should know about Social Security Disability and SSI Denials

    Questions about Disability Lawyers and Hiring a Disability Attorney

    Frequently asked questions about getting Denied for Disability Benefits

    FAQ on Disability Claim Representation

    Disability hearings before Judges

    Selecting and hiring Disability Lawyers

    Various Types of Benefits including SSI, Mental, and Child benefits

    Social Security and SSI based on Mental Disability

    Social Security Disability or SSI Benefits for Children

    Disability Benefits through Social Security

    Filing for Social Security Disability or SSI Benefits

    Social Security Disability SSI: Medical Evidence and Records

    Filing your claim for disability benefits

    Eligibility for receiving disability benefits

    Info about Social Security Disability Approvals and Being Approved

    FAQ on Social Security Disability SSI decisions

    The SSD SSI Decision Process and what gets taken into consideration

    Resources on this site

    Social Security Disability, SSI Terms and Definitions

    Previously answered questions regarding SSD and SSI

    For Individuals living in North Carolina

    Applying for Disability in North Carolina

    North Carolina Disability Lawyer

    Related pages:

    What Conditions Qualify For Social Security Disability?

    SSDI Request for Reconsideration

    Appealing a Social Security Disability Claim decision

    Can working hurt my disability case I have a hearing coming up?

    Can I get disability with a frozen shoulder?

    Can a husband and wife both receive Social Security disability?

    Can you appeal a disability back pay decision?

    How far does Medicare back pay?

    Does Social Security disability require that your savings be depleted?

    What if I donít get a decision on my SSI claim by the 90 day period?

    Why does the Social Security Administration want me to see one of their doctors?

    Will I lose my Social Security cash benefits for my children if I get married?

    Do I receive Social Security disability for the rest of my life?

    Can attorneys get SSDI and SSI cases to the Administrative Law Judge faster?