Social Security Disability Resource Center
What is the criteria for disability? |
Will I Qualify For Disability in NC? |
How long does disability take in NC? |
Disability determination services in North Carolina
Note: The SSDI, SSI disability system is federal and nationally standardized, though there are state differences in approval rates, wait times, the number of appeals available--as of the time of this writing--and even the name given to the stage disability agency (DDS, or the Bureau or Division of Disability Determination). Now, to answer the question...
After you file for disability in North Carolina, your case is sent to DDS, or disability determination services. NC DDS is where the disability examiner who handles your SSD or SSI claim is located.
1. Where is DDS located? Disability determination services is located in Raleigh, North Carolina.
North Carolina DDS mailing address, physical location, and phone and fax numbers
P.O. Box 243
Raleigh, NC 27602
3301 Terminal Drive
Raleigh NC, 27604
2. How long will my case be at DDS? The short answer is that your case will be there as long as it takes to arrive at a decision, be it an approval or denial. You should generally expect that an initial claim will be there for 90 to 120 days. If your case is there for a reconsideration appeal, it may be there anywhere between 1 to 4 months at the outside.
3. Will I be contacted by the disability examiner who is working on my case? You may be. It is fairly common for an examiner to contact a claimant, either by phone or by mail. Usually, they do this to get additional information about your medical sources, or to clarify some aspect of your work history, or to question you about your ADLs, i.e. your activities of daily living.
4. Can I contact the examiner who is working on my case? Yes, you can. It is sometimes difficult to locate the phone number for DDS through conventional means. However, all you have to do is contact the Social Security office where you applied and ask for the number.
When you call DDS, you will reach the central operator who will ask you for your social security number. They will then look up your examiner and connect you.
5. Will I be required to go to DDS? No, there is usually no reason at all for a disability examiner to ever request that you show up in person.
6. Can I visit DDS and speak to my examiner? Actually, yes you may. DDS has fairly strict security protocols. That said, you may visit the agency if you feel a pressing need to speak to the examiner who is processing your claim, or if you need to drop off evidence, or records of any kind.
Filing for NC disability benefits
Applying for Disability in North Carolina - How to apply, qualify, and meet filing requirements
Applying for NC disability benefits
More about filing for disability benefits in North Carolina
How to claim disability benefits in North Carolina
What happens on a disability application in North Carolina?
How long will it take to receive NC disability benefits if your application is approved?
Basic questions about disability benefits in North Carolina
How much can you receive in disability backpay in North Carolina?
How far back do you get disability benefits in North Carolina?
Can You Work and Collect Social Security Disability in North Carolina?
How to Get the Status on Your Social Security Disability Claim in North Carolina
How do I get help to win my disability claim in North Carolina?
The disability process in North Carolina
What condition or conditions qualifies for disability in North Carolina?
How long does it take to get through the disability system in North Carolina?
Is it hard to get disability benefits in North Carolina?
What are my chances of being approved for disability benefits in North Carolina?
How long does it take to receive North Carolina disability benefits after you are approved?
Disability determination services in North Carolina
Disability decisions in North Carolina
How long does it take for the disability decision in North Carolina?
How does the North Carolina Social Security Disability determination process work?
Getting disability benefits in North Carolina
Getting denied for disability in North Carolina and filing appeals
What does getting disability benefits in North Carolina involve?
How to get on disability in North Carolina
NC Disability requirements and qualifications
Will I Qualify For Disability Benefits in North Carolina?
What is the criteria for disability benefits in North Carolina?
What are the disability qualifications in North Carolina?
Proving the requirements for disability in North Carolina
How do you meet the Disability qualifications in North Carolina?
SSI and Social Security Disability requirements in North Carolina
How do I Know If I Qualify For Disability in North Carolina?
Winning Disability benefits in NC
How do I win disability benefits in North Carolina?
Improving your chances of getting disability in North Carolina
How to improve the chances of winning a North Carolina disability hearing
Will an attorney or representative help me win North Carolina disability benefits?
Winning disability benefits in North Carolina
Mental Disability benefits in NC
Receiving disability for a mental condition in North Carolina
How do you receive benefits for a mental disability in North Carolina?
Getting approved for mental disability benefits in North Carolina
Disability awards and award notices in North Carolina
Getting a Social Security Disability award in North Carolina
The Social Security Disability award notice process in North Carolina
What affects how much time it takes to get a disability award in North Carolina?
Disability representation in North Carolina
Should I get a disability representative or lawyer in North Carolina?
Who can provide disability representation in North Carolina?
Hiring a Qualified Disability Lawyer in North Carolina
How do Disability Lawyers in North Carolina get paid their fees?
Denied for disability in North Carolina, should I get an attorney or representative?
Disability attorney fees in NC - paying your lawyer or representative
How does a disability lawyer or representative get paid in North Carolina?
How much does the fee cost for a disability attorney in North Carolina?
Do you pay your disability lawyer in North Carolina or does Social Security pay the fee?
Will your North Carolina disability lawyer charge you upfront for taking your case?
Will your NC disability attorney charge you for any expenses other than the main fee?
NC disability hearings
What kind of decision will you get at a disability hearing in North Carolina?
NC disability hearing - how long for a decision?
Do you have to go to a Social Security hearing in North Carolina to get approved for disability?
The disability hearing in North Carolina- things to keep in mind
How do you prepare for a disability hearing in North Carolina?