Overview of Disability

Disability Back Pay

Disability Requirements

Disability Applications

Disability Advice Tips

How long do cases take?

How to win Disability

SSD Mistakes to avoid

Disability for Mental

What if you get denied?

How to file Appeals

Disability through SSA

SSI Disability Benefits

Disability for Children

How do I qualify for it?

Working and Disability

Disability Award Notice

Disability Lawyer Q&A

Disability Conditions List

What is a disability?

Your Medical Evidence

Filing for your Disability

Disability Eligibility

SSD SSI Definitions

Recent Questions

SSDRC Disability Blog

I once received disability benefits as a disabled adult child and have now become disabled as an adult

I am in hopes that you can possibly lead me in the right direction.

Although I am not receiving any financial benefits at this time due to working full time, I am still classified as disabled by SSA and they continue to provide me with a secondary medical insurance. SSA has my onset date of being disabled as 5 months after my 22nd birthday. My Mother insists that my SSI application was done before the age of 22 and before my Father passed he agreed. Unfortunately, I never kept any of my records to argue this with the SSA.

I am a now facing the possibility of having to leave work and go back on disability. I am under the impression that I would benefit more if I was determined a Dependent Adult Child so I could go under my deceased fathers record and not my own?

Would it be possible for you to explain this to me and give me suggestions on how I can get SSA to go back in the files to look at why they have this as an onset date?

Thank you for your time and for creating such a great website!

I do not think there is anyway to change the onset date of your disability. When you filed your disability claim, Social Security reviewed all the medical evidence available and they were not able to find that you were disabled prior to the age of twenty-two. You did not appeal your disability onset at that time. Once you are sixty-five days past any Social Security decision, there are no appeal rights.

However, your current work activity may increase your disability benefit. Social Security disability benefit amounts are based upon earnings. When new earnings are added Social Security reviews them to determine if they increase your disability benefit amount.

If your disability has been terminated due to work activity, you may have to chose between a expedited reinstatement of disability benefits or a new disability claim.

If you chose the expedited reinstatement, they pay you six months of provisional disability payments while they send your case back for a disability determination. If you chose the expedited reinstatement, your benefit amount will not receive a re-computation; therefore it will be the same amount you were receiving.

If you file a new disability claim, you will receive the benefit of your earnings but you take the chance of being denied for disability benefits. If you are just in suspense for work activity, you can contact Social Security and they will be able to start your benefits as if you never stopped receiving them.

I am sorry that I have no suggestions as to how you can get Social Security to go back and review your previous disability determination. I do hope your work has increased your disability benefit amount if you have to go back on disability.

Return to:  Social Security Disability Resource Center, or read answers to Questions

Related pages:

Social Security and not getting the medical records
How does social security decide your disability claim?
Applying for Social Security Disability or SSI for Stroke
Social Security Disability denial letter and appeal
Appealing a Social Security Disability Claim decision
The amount of back pay that you receive
If You Get Social Security Disability or SSI, Will Your Dependents Get A Check?
How to file for disability, tips to start

Information on the following topics can be found here: Social Security Disability Questions and in these subsections:

Frequently asked questions about getting Denied for Disability Benefits | FAQ on Disability Claim Representation | Info about Social Security Disability Approvals and Being Approved | FAQ on Social Security Disability SSI decisions | The SSD SSI Decision Process and what gets taken into consideration | Disability hearings before Judges | Medical exams for disability claims | Applying for Disability in various states | Selecting and hiring Disability Lawyers | Applying for Disability in North Carolina | Recent articles and answers to questions about SSD and SSI

These pages provide answers to basic questions about pursuing disability benefits

Social Security Disability SSI - Eligibility Requirements and Criteria to Qualify
Who qualifies for disability? - Qualifying is based on evidence of functional limitations
Medical Disability Requirements for SSD and SSI
The non-medical Disability Requirements for SSD and SSI
How to Apply for Disability - What medical conditions can you apply for?
What are the Social Security Disability, SSI Requirements For How Disabled You Have to Be?
What types of information is Social Security Disability looking for?
Proving Functional Limitations and why this is Important on a Disability Case
Applying for Disability - Rules and Requirements when you Apply