(Visit the Social Security Disability Resource Center) –
This question comes up frequently. You cannot collect both retirement and Social Security disability simultaneously. If you are awarded disability benefits, it is as if you are receiving your full retirement benefits early without reduction for age (every month you take your retirement prior to full retirement age cause some reduction). The reason you cannot collect both is that they are both Social Security benefits, and as such, Social Security only pays the higher benefit amount.
There are times when a disability applicant has the ability to file for both retirement and disability benefits at the same time. In these situations, the beneficiary can be paid their retirement benefits while they wait for their disability decision. If they are approved for disability, their retirement benefits will be paid until they become entitled to their higher disability benefit. If they are never approved for disability, they will still be entitled to receive their reduced retirement benefits.
Recently added pages:
1. How long do I have to be off work to file for disability?
2. How long does it take to get a decision for a disability appeal?
3. How much money can I get with SSDI?
4. If you get unemployment can you still get disability?
5. What happens after a Social Security disability hearing has been held?
6. Do SSDI payments differ from state to state?
7. The Judge and the decision after the disability hearing for SSDI or SSI
8. Can I receive back pay all the way back to my first SSD or SSI disability claim years ago?
9. What conditions qualify or get you approved for SSD or SSI disability?
10. How much does disability pay in Kentucky?
11. Requirements for Social Security Disability and SSI in Kentucky
12. How long does it take to get disability in Kentucky?
13. What conditions qualify for disability in Kentucky?
14. How much SSI will I get in Kentucky?
15. Permanent Disability Benefits in Kentucky
16. Can I get temporary disability in Kentucky?
17. Requirements for SSI in Kentucky
18. Can you work and apply for disability in Kentucky?
19. How difficult is it to get disability benefits in Kentucky?
20. What is the minimum you can get on disability in Kentucky?
21. Can I get disability for depression in Kentucky?
22. Can I get disability for a back condition in Kentucky?
23. Will I Qualify for Disability in Kentucky?
For more information about SSD and SSI on this site, please refer to the pages and sections linked below.
- Getting disability approved on a reconsideration with an attorney
- What hours can I work and get disability?
- Denied for disability, then my condition got worse
- Can you get disability for migraines?
- What are wait Times for Social Security Disability Hearings?
- What type of back problems qualify for disability?
- How to dress for a disability hearing
- Social Security Disability SSI – mistakes not to make 2
- How does Social Security make a disability determination?
- If I get approved for disability, will I get kicked off later?
- Social Security Disability SSI – mistakes not to make 3
- Denial by an ALJ at a Disability Hearing
- What happens if a child is approved for SSI and later has benefits stopped?
- Can working hurt my disability case I have a hearing coming up?
- Does my doctor decide if I am disabled?
- Social Security Disability SSI – mistakes not to make 5
- Should I get a lawyer for my disability hearing for SSD or SSI?
- Social Security Disability SSI – mistakes not to make 6
- A medical or non-medical denial for disability
- How long does a disability judge have to make a decision?
- Will you lose your disability benefits when you get to retirement age?
- Getting Disability and Trying to work
- Can you file for disability after you file for early Social Security Retirement?
- When does Social Security send you to an xray?
- Social Security Disability SSI – mistakes not to make 8
- How do you get the most in Social Security disability SSI back pay?
- Social Security Disability SSI – mistakes not to make 9
- Social Security Disability SSI Appeals Council Appeal
- What are the requirements for disability?
- What about my disability back pay?
- Applying for SSI
- SSI Social Security Disability Award Notice
- Social Security Disability and SSI Applications
- Social Security Disability SSI decisions
- Disabilility application SSI, SSD, SSDI
- Social Security Disability Hearing
- Social Security Disability SSI Questions
- Get approved for disability
- How do I qualify for disability?
- Social Security Disability SSI denied
- Social Security Disability, SSI, Work, and Working
- Disability appeals
- Social Security Mental Disability Benefits
- Overview of disability
- Eligibility for receiving disability benefits
- Disability lawyer, disability attorney info
- To file a claim for disability