(Visit the Social Security Disability Resource Center) –
“What if my child was awarded SSI and then was denied and taken off benefits when she turned 18?”
This situation was mentioned in an email. The individual stated that their child was granted SSI disability and at 18 had those benefits stopped.
I wrote back with the following:
It sounds like your daughter went through an age-18 redetermination. I couldn’t tell if her redetermination is in progress or if she has gotten a notice that benefits will be ceased.
In all disability cases (adult, child, widower), SSA will try to determine if the individual is disabled NOW, presently. So, current medical records are vital. As a disability examiner and in claimant representation, we always told individuals that SSA needs something current to look at, so recent medical treatment is usually needed.
There are instances in which a person’s own physician (SSA refers to this person as a treating physician) can supply a strong supporting statement for the case. The purpose of this is to cut through the static of the records and provide the information that SSA is really looking for, which is evidence of functional limitations. These statements are useful enough that most disability representatives, attorney and non-attorney, will try to obtain them for disability hearings.
If the decision on your daughter’s case has not been reached, you may want to contact the disability examiner who is working the case to see if there is any information they need or seem to be lacking. At the very least, you can establish contact with them and get a case status.
If the case has been denied, you are in the position of requesting benefit continuation while you appeal. Keep in mind that you only have 10 days in which to do this, though.
Also, keep in mind that if the case is ultimately lost you would be in the position of having to repay those benefits. If the benefits have been discontinued, consider appealing. And consider getting representation since the statistical likelihood is that you will need to go to a disability hearing at some point. That is the road most individuals who are denied find themselves on. And on the topic of representation, find someone local. Good luck.
For more information about SSD and SSI on this site, please refer to the pages and sections linked below.
- Can you lose your disability benefits?
- Filing for disability for Bipolar Disorder
- Are You Allowed to Work While Receiving or applying for disability?
- What is considered a disability by Social Security?
- When can I expect my first disability check and my back pay check?
- Applying for disability for Degenerative Disc Disease, Spinal Stenosis
- Can you get temporary Social Security disability or SSI benefits?
- How Much Income Can A Person Earn If He Draws Social Security Disability?
- Social Security Disability and SSI Back pay
- What does a disability attorney do?
- Filing for disability for Fibromyalgia
- Filing for disability and conditions you can apply for
- Social Security Disability SSI list of conditions
- Social Security Disability SSI Award notice
- What happens when you go to a disability hearing?
- How do you prove disability for a mental condition or impairment?
- Social Security Disability requirements
- Do you need a lawyer to file for disability?
- Do I need an attorney to win disability?
- Filing for disability for MS, multiple sclerosis
- Can a lawyer or attorney speed up my disability case?
- How Many Times Will Social Security Deny You before You Get Approved for Disability?
- How do you find out if a disability claim has been approved or denied?
- Maximum back pay from Social Security Disability or SSI
- Filing for disability for ADHD, attention deficit
- Social Security Disability and SSI Medical Exams
- How long to get disability benefits after you receive an award notice?
- How do you qualify for disability?
- How to file for disability, the disability application
- How long does it take to get disability
- How long does it take a disability hearing decision?
- How much does disability pay?
- Social Security and Permanent disability
- Social Security Disability list of impairments
- How to speed up the disability process
- Social Security Disability Status
- Applying for disability with Depression
- How to check Social Security Disability Status
- Disability Requirements, SSD, SSI
- Social Security Disability Back Pay Benefits
- Questions about SSI Disability Benefits
- Social Security Disability SSI Awards and Award Notices
- Social Security Disability and SSI Applications
- Tips and Advice for Social Security Disability and SSI
- Social Security Disability and SSI Applications
- What is considered a Disabling condition by Social Security?
- How long does it take for Social Security Disability SSI?
- Winning Social Security Disability or SSI
- Disability Qualifications and How to Qualify for Benefits
- Social Security Disability and SSI Denials
- Social Security Disability, SSI, Work, and Working