Overview of Disability

Disability Back Pay

Disability Requirements

Disability Applications

Disability Advice Tips

How long do cases take?

How to win Disability

SSD Mistakes to avoid

Disability for Mental

What if you get denied?

How to file Appeals

Disability through SSA

SSI Disability Benefits

Disability for Children

How do I qualify for it?

Working and Disability

Disability Award Notice

Disability Lawyer Q&A

Disability Conditions List

What is a disability?

Your Medical Evidence

Filing for your Disability

Disability Eligibility

SSD SSI Definitions

Recent Questions

SSDRC Disability Blog

Can I work and get Social Security Retirement?

The simple answer to this question is yes. However, it is your responsibility to report work/earnings to the Social Security administration in January or February of each year, and any time your earnings are higher than previously estimated.

Should you go over the earnings limit, you will be held accountable for the accrued overpayment. To avoid an overpayment, 1. call your local Social Security office to find out what the earnings limit is for a given year and 2. give an accurate estimate of your work plans for the year.

Usually it is recommended that you bring your W2 form in when you receive it from you employer for a possible increase in your benefit amount, and at that same time you may give your work report for the year.

Return to:  

  • Social Security Retirement Questions

    Additional Social Security Retirement Questions

  • Social Security Retirement overpayment

  • Will work cause my social security benefit to be reduced?

  • How much are you allowed to work before Social Security Retirement gets reduced?

  • Self-employment and social Security Retirement benefits