Overview of Disability
Disability Back Pay
Disability Advice Tips
How long do cases take?
How to win Disability
SSD Mistakes to avoid
Disability for Mental
What if you get denied?
How to file Appeals
Disability through SSA
SSI Disability Benefits
Disability for Children
How do I qualify for it?
Working and Disability
Disability Award Notice
Disability Lawyer Q&A
Disability Conditions List
What is a disability?
Your Medical Evidence
Filing for your Disability
SSD SSI Definitions
SSDRC authored by
SSDRC Disability Blog
A quick explanation of what SSA means by "disabled" and "disability"
Here's a quick explanation of these concepts and for more you can visit the following pages:
1. How Does Social Security Decide If You Are Disabled Or Not?
2. If Am Medically Disabled, Can Social Security Still Turn Me Down?
3. How to Prove you are disabled and Win your Disability Benefits
4. When is a Person Considered Fully Disabled by Social Security?
5. Being Determined Medically Disabled for Social Security Disability
1. First, there is the requirement that, to be found eligible for disability benefits, a claimant cannot have earnings that exceed the annual limit for substantial gainful activity (i.e., you can be working when you apply for disability, you just can't make over a specific dollar amount.
2. Second, an impairment must be medically determinable. This is simply another way of saying that a claimant's medical condition must be documented by medical evidence.
3. Third, a physical or mental impairment must satisfy a durational length before a person can be approved for disability benefits under the social security disability or SSI program. That durational length is twelve months meaning that a claimant's condition must be disabling for at least this long (or must be projected to be disabling for at least this long) before disability benefits may be awarded.
Return to: Social Security Disability Resource Center, or read answers to Questions
How to file for disability in North Dakota
Why does disability get denied?
Antisocial Personality Disorder and Filing for Disability
How to file for disability in Colorado
Is Rental Income Counted Against My Social Security Disability Check?
Calling Social Security about a disability case
Getting SSI for children when parents get disability
Social Security Disability and financial resources
SSD Notice of Award Question
Social Security Disability Award Letter Following an Approval
Social Security disability and trying to work
How long do you have To Be Out Of Work Before You Get Social Security Disability (SSD)?
Can you apply for SSI for a learning disability?
Permanent disability benefits
Eligible for disability back pay benefits
How long does SSDI and SSI disability take to get?
Information on the following topics can be found here: Social Security Disability Questions and in these subsections:
Frequently asked questions about getting Denied for Disability Benefits | FAQ on Disability Claim Representation | Info about Social Security Disability Approvals and Being Approved | FAQ on Social Security Disability SSI decisions | The SSD SSI Decision Process and what gets taken into consideration | Disability hearings before Judges | Medical exams for disability claims | Applying for Disability in various states | Selecting and hiring Disability Lawyers | Applying for Disability in North Carolina | Recent articles and answers to questions about SSD and SSI
These pages provide answers to basic questions about pursuing disability benefits
How to check the status of my Social Security disability claim
To qualify for disability, what to prove
Preparation to win a disability hearing
Social Security Disability lawyers FAQ
How Much Income Can you Earn If you draw Social Security Disability?
What does Social Security Disability SSI pay, how much?
Social Security Disability Maximum back pay
Social Security Disability Claims and Medical Exams
What is qualifying for disability benefits based on?
Partial Social Security Disability SSI benefits
Filing for disability and financial help
Getting approved after a Social Security Disability Psychological exam
How long does it take to receive disability benefits after you are approved?
Does Social Security Disability Come With Medicaid Benefits?
Applying for Disability or SSI - How long does it take
Can you work if you get Social Security Disability?
Am I eligible to receive disability benefits?
What medical disabilities, conditions qualify for Disability Benefits?
How to get disability for degenerative disc disease
What mental problems qualify for disability?
Conditions that get approved for disability