Topic Categories:

Overview of Disability

Disability Back Pay

Requirements for Disability

Applications for disability

Tips and Advice for Disability Claims

How long does Disability take?

Winning Disability Benefits

Common Mistakes after a Denial

Mental Disability Benefits

Denials for Disability

Appeals for denied claims

Disability Benefits from SSA

SSI Benefits

Child Disability Benefits

Qualifications and How to Qualify

Working and Disability

Disability Awards and Notices

Disability Lawyers, Hiring Attorneys

Social Security List of Conditions

What Social Security considers disabling

Medical Evidence and Disability

Filing for Disability Benefits

Eligibility for Disability Benefits

SSD SSI Definitions

Ask a question, get an answer

What do you do if you get denied for disability in Pennsylvania?

Adults who become disabled for SSD, i.e. become unable to earn an income that is capable of supporting themselves, may wish to consider filing for benefits based on disability with the social security administration. However, after turning in an application, these same individuals should probably prepare themselves for what is often a a long and difficult process for this one reason: most applications in Pennsylvania get denied.

If you get denied on a social security disability or ssi claim, you have essentially three choices. You can choose to give up, you can file a brand social security disability or ssi disability application, or you file an appeal.

Which choice should you utilize? Generally speaking, you should never give up. And, in fact, too many disability claimants do give up. This is very unfortunate and I would like to inform anyone who is considering filing for disability benefits that most claims are initially denied but also that the chance of winning later on appeal may rise substantially, particularly at a disability hearing (hopefully, you'll have representation).


1. Qualifying for SSD and SSI, how to qualify, who qualifies?
2. How to file for disability tips
3. When you file for disability for Mental and Physical Conditions
4. What if I get denied my disability?

Regarding the second choice, you should only in a few circumstances consider starting over with a new application (for example, if you received a technical denial on an disability claim for having excess income but are now no longer working, you may wish to file a new claim).

The third choice, generally speaking, is the most productive. In most instances, your best course of action will be to file an appeal and file it timely within the deadline permitted by the social security administration---in fact, to cut processing time from your case, do not simply file your appeal timely, file it as soon as possible.

Return to:  Social Security Disability Resource Center, or read answers to Questions

Filing for disability in Pennsylvania

Applying for disability in Pennsylvania

Filing for disability or SSI in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania SSI disability benefits

Qualifying, will I qualify for disability in Pennsylvania?

Social Security disability SSI and being permanently disabled in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania disability claim staus

Why a disability case in Pennsylvania takes so long

Disability decisions and denials in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Social Security Disability SSI decisions

If you get denied for disability in Pennsylvania

After being denied for disability in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania disability appeals and hearings

Filing a disability appeal in Pennsylvania

Chances of winning disability on an appeal in Pennsylvania?

How can you improve the chance of winning disability in Pennsylvania?

How long does it take to get a disability hearing in Pennsylvania?

Winning a disability hearing in Pennsylvania

Hiring a disability lawyer in Pennsylvania

Getting a disability lawyer in Pennsylvania

How will a Pennsylvania disability lawyer help my claim?

The cost to hire a disability attorney in Pennsylvania

When should you get a disability attorney in Pennsylvania?

How can a Pennsylvania disability lawyer win a disability case?