Topic Categories:

Overview of Disability

Disability Back Pay

Requirements for Disability

Applications for disability

Tips and Advice for Disability Claims

How long does Disability take?

Winning Disability Benefits

Common Mistakes after a Denial

Mental Disability Benefits

Denials for Disability

Appeals for denied claims

Disability Benefits from SSA

SSI Benefits

Child Disability Benefits

Qualifications and How to Qualify

Working and Disability

Disability Awards and Notices

Disability Lawyers, Hiring Attorneys

Social Security List of Conditions

What Social Security considers disabling

Medical Evidence and Disability

Filing for Disability Benefits

Eligibility for Disability Benefits

SSD SSI Definitions

Ask a question, get an answer

What should I take with me when I go to apply for Social Security retirement ?

The most important item to take with you when you apply for Social Security retirement is your certified birth certificate. Social Security retirement is based on age; therefore you must be able to prove your age. If you do not have a birth certificate, you will need to provide a letter from your birth state's vital records repository stating that there is no recorded birth record for you.

You will be required to bring secondary evidence to prove your age, such as school records, marriage records, voter registration, or early insurance policies with your name and age indicated.

You should contact the Social Security Administration to receive more information about acceptable forms of evidence for the purpose of age determination.

Also, military service may increase your benefit amount, therefore it would be advisable for you to bring your DD214 or at least know your service dates when you file for your Social Security retirement.

Return to:  

  • Social Security Retirement Questions

    Additional Social Security Retirement Questions

  • If I am a widower and get married, will it affect my Social Security retirement ?

  • If you already receive Social Security retirement, is there a way to increase the benefit amount ?