Topic Categories:

Overview of Disability

Disability Back Pay

Requirements for Disability

Applications for disability

Tips and Advice for Disability Claims

How long does Disability take?

Winning Disability Benefits

Common Mistakes after a Denial

Mental Disability Benefits

Denials for Disability

Appeals for denied claims

Disability Benefits from SSA

SSI Benefits

Child Disability Benefits

Qualifications and How to Qualify

Working and Disability

Disability Awards and Notices

Disability Lawyers, Hiring Attorneys

Social Security List of Conditions

What Social Security considers disabling

Medical Evidence and Disability

Filing for Disability Benefits

Eligibility for Disability Benefits

SSD SSI Definitions

Ask a question, get an answer

I am on disability for cerebral palsy. Will I lose my Social Security Disability if I marry?

I am presently confined to a wheel chair for cerebral palsy and receive approx. $1800 per month from SS. My mother, who cares for me, also receives approx. $1800 per month for caring for me.

I have fallen in love with a young man who is a student and we want to get married. He has no income at this time and is on student loans for his education.

If we marry, we would have to stay at my home so my mom can still care for me.

Would I lose my social security disability benefits if I married? We are in love, but we would still need income until he completes school and gets a job.

Thank you

If you are receiving Social Security disability benefits based upon your own earnings record, there is no problem with your getting married. If your Social Security benefits are based upon a parent's earnings record as a disabled adult child, your benefits would stop and most likely the money your mother receives for taking care of you will be gone as well.

If you are an adult disabled child, marriage ends the benefit if the beneficiary marries a non-disabled person or a disabled person receiving SSI.

The only way an adult disabled child can marry is if they marry another person receiving Social Security disability benefits. I do not know your situation, but if you are an adult disabled child, you should consider your decisions carefully. Once you are married, you will never be able to receive these benefits again.

Return to:  Social Security Disability Resource Center, or read answers to Questions

Related pages:

What is the average time for an answer after a SSDI or SSI disability hearing?
Will I get an increase in my SSI check?
Is Morbid Obesity Considered A Disability?
Do people go bankrupt due to the long wait for disability benefits?
Social Security and not getting the medical records
Filing for disability with spinal fusion
How to file for disability in South Carolina
Filing for disability with crohn's disease

Information on the following topics can be found here: Social Security Disability Questions and in these subsections:

Frequently asked questions about getting Denied for Disability Benefits | FAQ on Disability Claim Representation | Info about Social Security Disability Approvals and Being Approved | FAQ on Social Security Disability SSI decisions | The SSD SSI Decision Process and what gets taken into consideration | Disability hearings before Judges | Medical exams for disability claims | Applying for Disability in various states | Selecting and hiring Disability Lawyers | Applying for Disability in North Carolina | Recent articles and answers to questions about SSD and SSI

These pages provide answers to basic questions about pursuing disability benefits

What is qualifying for disability based on?
What do you Need to Prove to Qualify for Disability Benefits?
Social Security Disability Status - when should I call to check
How do you prove your disability case if you have a mental condition?
What are the SSI disability qualifications for Adults and Children?
How Likely are You to Win Your Disability Case?
What Can I Do to Improve My Chances of Winning Disability Benefits?
Working while getting Disability - Is it Possible?
What is Social Security Back Pay?
What is the maximum back pay you can get for Social Security disability?